January 19, 2010

Redd, James Monroe; (Father Lemuel H. Redd Sr.)

James Monroe was born in New Harmony, Washington County, Utah Aug. 24, 1863. At age 16 he came with the original pioneers through the Hole-in-the-Rock. He helped drive the cattle and horses al the way, thus rendering a valuable service. He had the job of keeper of the horses on the trail. Soon Bluff and Blanding were established by these determined and intrepid men and women. The establishment of settlements did not end their difficulties. Crisis after crisis was met—Indians, floods, sand, storm, sickness, death—with a firm faith that the Lord had sent them there by the mouth of his prophet and would preserve them through their afflictions by their righteousness.

In June of 1880 he returned to their old home in Washington County, where he lived until 1887. Then he returned again to the San Juan mission accompanied by his wife, Lucinda A Pace, whom he had married in 1884 and their two small children.

In Bluff, Monroe engaged the cattle business, in a company with Joshua Steves, Apostle Brigham Young Jr, and Platte D. Lyman. Later he joined the Bluff Pool (a cattle company) when the people of Bluff bought out a Texas cattle company.

In 1899, he was one of 13 men, most of them married who left Bluff as missionaries. He served in Tennessee, where years before his grandfather had accepted the Gospel. He returned home in 1901 and in 1905 moved his famly to Monticello where he farmed. He served in various capacities in the Church, from Pres of the YMMIA, to the High Council in the Stake.
James Monroe Redd matured rapidly during this experience. Among his children was a daughter, Margaret Vivian Redd. Born in Bluff on October 13, 1889.  She grew up a real pioneer child. She learned the pioneer trades of carding, spinning, weaving wool, cooking with the handicaps of small stoves and wood fires. She learned the ways of the camps as well as of the home. She was resourceful.

Margaret Vivian Redd met Oscar W. McConkie at  Utah State Agricultural College in Logan, Utah, and they were married September 13, 1913. They moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where Oscar entered the University of Michigan Law School.

There, on July 29, 1915, their first child, a son, was born. He weighed ten pounds. He was named Bruce Redd McConkie. His entrance into this world was difficult, and in the process both he and his mother nearly lost their lives. A year later at the conclusion of law school the family moved back to Monticello, where the father began to practice law.

Life in Monticello for a small boy was normal. Bruce was ordained a deacon at the age of eleven and three-fourths (February 27, 1927). About this time the family returned to Ann Arbor for a year of law study. Bruce taught the Book of Mormon in the family Sunday School and eventually became an apostle in the LDS church.(Ensign » 1973 » January Article about Bruce R. McConkie by S. Dillworth Young).

He died May 30 1937, folowing a lingering illness.

No comments: